Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Pause for Gratitude: Perspective from my Son

Right now, mama, you need some love.
Ever have those days or weeks where you feel like you're in over your head?  It's been like this for about 3 weeks for me.  I've got an insane class work, we've had a bunch of stuff going on at home with chicken pox/allergies/you name it, the kids have been, ahhhhhhem, tempestuous, and life has just been nutso.  Truth be told, I've felt like I needed a Calgon moment near daily.

Today was another nutso day.  The kids were just nuts, Owen was running a fever and holding his ears yelling "Ow, Mama!!!", and I realized I had done my final assignments for 2 of this quarter's classes for my Masters COMPLETELY WRONG.  Truth be told, when Nolan and Eva headed out the door for work and school respectively, I sank onto the couch. Exhausted, overwhelmed, disappointed with myself, and worried about Owen's ears, I felt pretty close to tears.

Owen suddenly climbed up into my lap and did something he used to do ALL THE TIME when he first learned how to give kisses.  He grabbed my cheeks, stared me in the eye, smiled and said "You need kisses."  He gave me my kisses, grabbed my hand and led my to the kitchen so we could eat, and then to the bedroom so we cuddle and have nap time.

It is amazing, isn't it?  Our children sometimes read us better than we read ourselves.  They often know when we're at the 'breaking point' and just once in awhile, they give us a kiss to let us know it will all be okay.  After a good night's sleep tonight, tomorrow is a new day.  And it will all be okay.

No comments: