Sunday, May 15, 2011

Healthy Breakfasts: Scones

Two of my top five favorite breakfast flavors for baked goodies are cranberry-orange and I love scones.  It's taken me a long time to find recipes for scones that didn't bake up too dry and crumbly or too moist to bake properly.  I also happen to enjoy them with plenty of butter and a bit of glaze.  So today, I want to link you to my FAVORITE new scone recipe, by the Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten.

Her stuff she makes is easy, elegant, and perfect for a slow Sunday morning.  I'm still slowly perfecting my baking skills.  But this recipe hasn't failed me four times now.  The kiddos love them, Nolan (who will barely touch cranberry orange anything) adores them, and I could eat an entire batch by myself.

I'm in the midst of a deep spring cleaning of the house this weekend.  We have a huge yard sale with our inlaws happening this next weekend in Mitchell.  I'm a bit of a minimalist and try to purge the house every few months.  This sale has been a huge opportunity- we really hadn't done much in the way of cleaning the house out except occasionally going through the kids' clothes every season- so I am really loving how much space we are getting with going through every single room!!!

I had really wanted to put in our garden this weekend, but alas, another cold snap hit, so hot scones and strong coffee are our Sunday breakfast.  Then back to clearing the house out and finishing up two baby blankets and hats (I've got two babies due next month that I'm knitting for!).  I can't wait till the house is finished being cleaned out, so I can flop on the couch and rewatch Strawberry Shortcake with the kiddos.

Trust me on this recipe- you'll really love it.  I've been making a fruit salad lately of chopped strawberries, bananas, pineapple, and Greek yogurt to go along with heavier things like scones- give it a try!  How has your weekend been?

No comments: