Sunday, May 29, 2011

Healthy Breakfasts: Hot Grape Nuts


With the weather being entirely indecisive, the mornings just aren't as warm as I'd LIKE them to be.  Clearly "Here Comes The Sun" still isn't our theme song here yet and it's less than three days from June!  Usually during spring, summer, and fall, I have a little ritual.  I like to wake up a bit before everyone, slip outside while my coffee is brewing to check on my plants and the have my first cup of coffee alone on the porch while the world wakes up.  Usually, Eva wakes up next and comes out on the porch with to tend the potted plants and just hang out quietly as we wake up.  Then as Owen and Nolan wake up, it's time to start the day.

Considering we JUST got out potted plants in, I'm not entirely sure when I'll get to slip outside for my few minutes of warm solitary sunshine.  This morning it was thundering and raining, so the only thing that would cheer me up was plenty of coffee and some hot Grape Nuts.  Confession time, I am probably one of the few people on earth that loved Grape Nuts as both a KID and now.  But I like them better now because occasionally, the husband will make me a bowl of his very special hot Grape Nuts, which I'll be sharing this morning.

I never understood, the whole "Grape Nuts- Breakfast for Grown Ups!" spiel.  My kids munch them up with sliced fruit and almond milk or we make hot grape nuts and none of us are hungry until nearly 1.  But as I asked around- EVERYBODY hated them as kids, except Nolan and I apparently.  We must be aliens.  You'll notice that we use skim or almond milk interchangeably around here a lot lately, and that we also use almond butter often.  After becoming vegetarians- every single one of us had flare-ups of issues with dairy.

Ssshhhhhh, don't tell my favorite food on earth- cheese, but the Liebert household? ALL slight-to-middling lactose intolerance.  I'm not really into dosing us up with Lactaid, Tums, etc., just so we can have more diary, so we've started cutting back and substituting when we can.  Honestly? I think my tummy is thanking me. Possibly my waistline too, but we'll see.  We do use peanut or almond butter interchangeably.  I love almond butters texture and flavor, but it isn't for everyone.  So, in the recipe- if you'd rather use peanut butter, I'm not going to throw a jar of almond butter at you.

Serve your hot grape nuts with sliced banana, some diced up fruit for fruit salad, and a big mug of coffee or tea, and I guarantee, the hunger pains won't strike for awhile.  Not to mention that you'll feel like running a marathon due to sheer energy and your arteries will also thank you.  Enjoy!

Nolan's Hot Grape NutsServes 4

2 Cups Grape Nuts
2 Cups milk (skim or almond)
8 Tbsp. almond butter
4 Tbsp. honey
Cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

Mix Grape Nuts and milk, microwave on high for 1 - 2 minutes (until most of the milk is absorbed by the cereal). Mix in almond butter and honey. Serve while warm.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment: