Sunday, April 10, 2011

Healthy Breakfasts: Baked Oatmeal

I think I've already waxed poetic on my love of hot breakfast cereals.  From Malt-o-Meal to my newest addiction, Bob's Red Mill 7 Grain Hot Cereal, the love runs deep.  I never mind standing, sleepy eyed and blurry, over the stove to make something that sticks to my stomach.  I wish I could get my kids to enjoy oatmeal the way I do.  Even my husband loves oatmeal and hot breakfast cereals- two things he can be seriously picky about.

I am hoping baked oatmeal with chopped up fresh or dried fruit can change their minds.  It's a cross between a breakfast bar and a bowl of oatmeal.  It reheats and stores really well, you can even cut it into individual portions to make serving it through the week early.  The recipe also doubles or triples easily.

My serving suggestion is simple.  A tall glass of milk, some chopped up fresh or dried fruit, a bowl of this, and you should be ready to go, any day of the week.  Enjoy.  We made it last weekend and are trying it again tomorrow am, and I am tremendously excited!

Baked Oatmeal
8 portions

  • 2  cups Quick Quaker® Oats OR 2-1/4 cups Old Fashioned Quaker® Oats, uncooked
  • 1/3  cup granulated sugar
  • 3-1/3  cups fat-free milk
  • 1/2 cup cup liquid egg substitute with yolk or 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2  teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/3  cup firmly packed brown sugar

    Heat oven to 350º F. Spray 8-inch square glass baking dish with cooking spray.
    In large bowl, combine oats and granulated sugar. In medium bowl, combine milk, egg substitute and vanilla; mix well. Add to oat mixture; mix well. Pour into baking dish.
    Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until center jiggles slightly. Remove from oven to cooling rack.
    Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over top of oatmeal. Using back of spoon, gently spread sugar into a thin layer across entire surface of oatmeal. Return to oven; bake just until sugar melts, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set oven to broil. Broil 3 inches from heat until sugar bubbles and browns slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. (Watch carefully to prevent burning. It may be necessary to turn baking dish.) Spoon into bowls to serve.

    No comments: