Sunday, April 17, 2011

Healthy Breakfast: Veggie Fritatta

I have to admit that I'm not into casseroles and egg bake dishes.  IT seems a lot of people love these for breakfast, especially here, but even though I need something healthy and filling- often these just get too heavy for me.  So, I like the ease of frittatas.  My mama makes a mean breakfast quiche so I like to think frittatas as the easier to deal with cousin to a quiche.  No crust, just eggs, some veggies, a bit of cheese, the oven, set the table and pour your coffee, and voila!  Breakfast!  (I might also mention what you probably already know, it's a yummy way to sneak extra veggies into everyone's diet!)

As an ode to spring, let's keep this light and bright- some lemon, some tarragon, and some asparagus.  You can make this as light or rich as you prefer.  I prefer egg white frittatas with a bit of feta or parmesan, Nolan loves them with full eggs, heavy cream, and LOADS of gruyere or cheddar.  So again.  Think of this as a template.  And after breakfast, take a look at this neat project I saw for a fun nature walk with your family!

Spring Veggie Frittata

-6 eggs, egg whites, or egg substitute (Usually the package will tell you how much to measure out to equal an egg and you go from there)
-2 cups of chopped and lightly sauteed veggies (I usually do a shallot, 2 cloves of garlic, asparagus thats had the ends snapped off and cut into inch pieces, and some diced yellow bell peppers)
-1/3 cup fat free half-n-half, skim milk, or cream (your preference)
-1/3 cup of feta, mozzarella, cheddar, whatever you've got in the kitchen

-Whisk up eggs with cream, salt and pepper, and some herbs.  Heat your oven to 350 and spray an oven safe skillet (or baking dish is fine) with nonstick spray.
-Stir your veggies into the egg mixture and pour into skillet.  Cook for 15020 minutes until center is a bit jiggly.
-Top with cheese, cook 5-10 more minutes so cheese is melted and bubbly and center is set.  Pull out and let cool a few minutes before slicing and serving.  Have a wonderful day!

No comments: