Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Belated Healthy Breakfast: Burritos!


I do apologize that this post is coming well after dinner is probably over.  I also apologize that things have been slow over here on the blog, in general.  My computer got a big old nasty virus, seemingly at about the same time I did last week.  While I was heaving my guts out, apparently, my computers guts were being invaded as well.  We just got things fixed up about two hours ago and I've been frantically typing away ever since.

So let's talk about breakfasts we grew up with.  Did you have a favorite breakfast that was both healthy and delicious?  I hope to hear about them to try out in our household soon- I always love new inspiration.  One of my biggest inspirations in cooking would have to be that the majority of my childhood was spent in Arizona.  IF you have ever been to or lived in the Southwest, you may know what I'm talking about when I say that I LOVED the breakfast burrito ladies.

These ladies were original entrepreneurs, they went from businesses, hospitals, schools, and house to house with big old coolers full of piping hot breakfast burritos rolled up in aluminum foil.  Some even ended up expanding their business to giant vans out of which they sold their delicious fares.  I'm sure these burritos weren't the 'healthiest' things in the world, but goodness they were tasty!  Big burritos full of scrambled eggs, peppers, sausage, tons of cheese- always delicious.

My parents were fairly smart since these burritos were always the size of those monster burritos you can get at Qdoba (but for LESS than $1).  They would get 3 of them for us, but slice them into halves or even thirds and serve up one portion with a bowl of fresh fruit and a giant glass of milk.  And ta da, breakfasts for all of us for a couple days!

As I got older and we moved to South Dakota, my mama and I experimented with healthier alternatives- more veggies, less cheese, whole grain tortillas, scrambled egg whites, the list continues on.  The recipe I'm sharing today is the one we use, but as I ALWAYS say, think of it like a template!  Change up ingredients, keep it seasonal and fresh, and serve with great healthy sides like fruits, yogurt, even black beans with some sliced avocado and some Tabasco- if you want to go really authentic.

I will say that with a big mug of coffee or fresh OJ or even a tall cold glass of milk, often these are filling enough on their own.  The recipe I'm sharing here is the one my family loves best of all, so I hope you do too, and I hope we're making your Sunday mornings just a bit more yummy!  You'll have to let me know in the comments!!!

Homemade Breakfast Burritos
serves 4- easily adaptable for larger amounts

-4 of your favorite brand of whole grain or wheat tortillas
-6 eggs (or 6-8 egg whites, if you prefer)
-2 Tbs fat free half & half
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1/3 a yellow or white onion, minced
-1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
-2 tbs olive oil
-1 small can of green chilies
-1 lb turkey sausage
-1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
-1 green bell pepper, diced
-1/2 tsp each- oregano, cilantro, cumin (all dried)
-Salt and pepper
-To garnish, shredded low-fat Monterrey Jack, sliced avocados, Tabasco, salsa, or any other extras you like.

1.  Heat your oil and saute your garlic, onion, and jalapeño over medium heat.  While they gently saute, whisk your eggs up with the spices and the half and half.  Add in the green chilies.  Lower your heat slightly when your onions are translucent and add in the turkey sausage, breaking it up and stirring well until the pieces are nicely browned.

2.  Slowly add in your you whisked eggs to your sausage mixture, and stir constantly to get nicely scrambled eggs with everything well incorporated.

3.  Heat your tortillas up, gently, in the microwave, then divide your egg mixture between the tortillas.  Top with tomatoes, peppers, cheese, and extras.  Roll up and serve with bowls of fruit, coffee and juice, and enjoy your morning!  You're off to a great start!

No comments: