Tuesday, October 4, 2011

WAHM - Meet Marnie Scott of Simply.Natural.




~What is the name of your business and what do you make?
Simply. Natural.
I make natural lip balms, body balms, bath salts, lip scrubs, and perfume rollers.

~Tell us how you decided to begin creating what you do and how it has changed your life.
I have been in business for 2 years now, but a few of my products (heal up and loosen up) I made 10 years ago when I had my first baby. I have always been into the natural home remedies, so I made products that would help my kids! My full time job is as a massage therapist, and I work out of my home.  I have been doing massages for 15 years now, and have always used essential oils for different reasons during my massages. (body aches, bruising, swelling, pain, ect..) So once I started tampering with lip balms, the options for creating were endless. I LOVE helping people feel better, and my products serve that purpose!

~Tell us about your family…kids, husband, pets, etc
I have been married to TJ Scott for 13 years, he is a surgical tech at Sanford. Serena, 10 years is in 5th grade and LOVES creating with me. She makes Bubble. Up. lip balm,  and Earth. Angel. bath salt. She loves reading, hula hooping, and drawing. JUST like me! Sawyer, 8 years old is in 2nd grade and  joined us in making his own lip balm, Chocolate. Eruption. He loves legos, drawing, and playing outside. My kids are business owners with me. Every month we figure out what they sold and do math: dividing profits into savings, spending, and some back into the business. I want them to know anything is possible as long as your heart is in it!  We have 2 dogs, Mika a german shepherd, and Isha a husky. We love them bunches, and I think the feeling is mutual!

~Tell us about how you are able to do what you do and balance your family life…how do you make it work?
I am able to balance family life with my business because I do a lot of the creating while the kids are at school. Everyone steps in to help too...we all label really well! My husband helps a lot with delivering orders too. The kids each make their own products with my supervision, so they are usually willing to help me with all of mine too!

~Do you do anything in addition to your at-home business?
 I never quit creating. I LOVE giving massages, which comes first. My Simply. Natural. line fills in the time when I am not doing massage. I also make hula hoops, and teach hoop classes to kids and adults! I truly love what I do, and feel really blessed to be able to spend time with my kids and work at the same time!

~Is there any advice you would give to other WAHMs or those that aspire to work at home?
Write down your goals, intentions, dreams etc., and look at them often! I use my business as a life lesson for my kids. They may have a small part in our business, but it’s HUGE to them. As they get older I will give them more responsibility. My goal is that they will look back and be proud of themselves and our family. Use free ways to advertise (facebook, blogs, friends, family), we live in an area that is super supportive of local products~trust your intuition, and think positive!

No comments: