Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Time for Gratitude - Fall

We have reached my very *favorite* time of year!! I can’t even tell you how much I love autumn.

I love having all our house windows open and letting the cool breeze sweep through. I love seeing the changing colors of the leaves. I love seeing the combines in the fields and watching corn husks scoot across country roads in the wind. I love the delicious apples. I love the smells. I love….well……everything.
 
Last week we went to the pumpkin patch (well, really, it is a little farm south of Mitchell – we go there every year) to load up on pumpkins, gourds, and anything else that looked cool for fall decor. We aren’t really into decorating for Halloween - just fall and Thanksgiving - so, we didn’t need to be concerned with what kind of pumpkin would be best for carving. This is a good thing, because the kids were SO excited that they just picked up whatever pumpkins and gourds they could carry and loaded up our wagon. They also each picked out one big pumpkin that Randall or I had to carry.

Once they got all they could, we loaded up the car and headed back home. Much to the kids’ delight, they got to decorate the house and porch however they wanted to. I gave them some ideas, but they were the ones who had the final say and did it how they wanted. The porch was transformed into our very own “pumpkin patch” as Vienna calls it. They were much less interested in the inside of the house – I guess I should have expected that from an almost four year old and a 22 month old.

Nevertheless, the porch looks fantastic, and I’m so proud of them both – especially Vienna. Porter had fun kicking things off after Vienna had them “just so”, but instead of getting angry, she just asked him to not do that anymore and picked it all up again and re-set it. It was SO much fun watching them get into the spirit of the season and work together…well, in their own way, anyway.

I’m looking forward to as many autumn walks as we can fit in before the weather gets too cold, pointing out the lovely fall colors to the kiddos, and relishing every crisp day we have before it gets too “crisp” to enjoy it this way.

Happy Fall, Everyone!

By Evie DeWitt

No comments: