Thursday, May 17, 2012

Open Letter to My Daughter


Just keep scrubbing.

You know. Because you drew a picture on the bathroom door because you wanted to “make it pretty”. You were so proud and honest that I couldn’t be mad. But, you have to learn that there are *always* consequences for your actions. Sometimes the consequences are good. Sometimes they totally stink. Like having to scrub long and hard while trying to remove a lovely picture drawn on the bathroom door…even when you really knew better.

There will be many, many, times in life where you will have to keep scrubbing…and though it may seem like it is in vain, it never is.

I love how curious, creative, observant, and passionate with the desire to learn you are. You are so gracefully and quietly supportive of so many, showing compassion and love well beyond your four years would dictate. You are an encourager and a pleaser, and I love that…just make sure to always encourage, but don't try to please everyone all the time and get taken advantage of (I had to learn that the hard way). You are an amazing listener, and you have such wonderfully funny and creative ideas. Don’t lose that. You are strong and can do absolutely whatever you set your mind to. Don't worry - the Lord will lead your way...all you have to do is ask Him.


As your mommy, I promise to always do the best I can to encourage you, guide you, and give you the freedom to fly your own path. Even though I have a tendency to want to protect you from everything, I will try to let you fall on your own terms and will *always* be there to help you get back up if you need me.

I longed for and prayed for you for so very long before you were conceived and born. You are my blessing, my beautiful miracle, and it’s because of you that I became a mommy…the only thing that I have ever wanted to be. I love you more than I can ever express, and I promise to do my best to show you just how much I love you every. single. day.

Here are the lyrics of "I Hope You Dance" recorded by Lee Ann Womack…they state perfectly what my grandmother and own mom have demonstrated and prayed for their families, and they state perfectly my prayer and wishes for you, too.

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance I hope you dance 
I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Livin' might mean takin' chances, but they're worth takin'
Lovin' might be a mistake, but it's worth makin'
Don't let some Hellbent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to sellin' out, reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
 
I hope you dance I hope you dance

Vienna, I hope you dance...

Love
~Mommy

2 comments:

Renee graf said...

Wow!! That is awesome I am crying!! Just remembering grandma.....she started by raising her daughter wonderfully to pass it on to us....we are so lucky and blessed!! Love you sis :)

Evie said...

Thanks Renee - I get teary-eyed every time I re-read this - ha!

Yes, we are extremely blessed. Love you, too!