Thursday, June 5, 2014

Facebook - Love It or Hate It?

So something I've been struggling with a lot lately is my relationship with Facebook.

There are so many things to love about it.

Then again, there are so many things to hate about it.

It seriously is fantastic for so many reasons!

  • I get to keep in touch with so many people. 
  • I get news blurbs and can somewhat keep up with what's happening in the world without spending a ton of time reading every single news article or blog post.
  • I get notifications in my news feed when new studies about pregnancy/birth/breastfeeding come out
  • I get links to all kinds of fantastic health information
  • I am able to network in a way that just wasn't possible before
  • I do a lot of my work for Elegant Mommy and Educated Mommy on Facebook
So if it's so great, why have I been struggling with it?

Well, for one thing it's an a-number-one ridiculous and awful time-sucker. It has some kind of addictive property that makes me (and I'm assuming I'm not the only one) just go to it whenever I have a free minute. Then, whether or not I have extra time (more than my free minute), it takes that time and sucks it away from my day. So, when I could be doing one of the billion other things I need to do, instead I sit on Facebook and waste away my time. Usually that kind of thing happens later in the evening when hubby is at work and kids are in bed. So instead of finishing up the cleaning I didn't get done for the day, or the sewing that I've been meaning to get to, I zone out and scroll through the over-abundance of information that is at my fingertips.

I click on articles and posts that catch my eye. The only problem is - many of them don't improve me in any way. In fact, many of them are - in and of themselves - time wasters. And before I know it, it's getting close to the time when my husband will be home from work, or time for me to be getting to bed myself, and here I sit yet again in front of my computer with dishes left in the sink or messes still in the living room or my sewing projects still left untouched, and I feel a little more worthless and like a bad mom and/or wife (depending on the day).

So yes. I hate Facebook for many reasons. If I could, I honestly think I would just delete my account. But because of work, networking opportunities, etc, I really don't feel like I can for now. 

And then I think about how useful a tool it truly is, and how I really do get a lot of great information from it. And I think about how I can talk to my friends and keep up with what's going on in their lives. I love rejoicing with them (even with my not-close-friends) when they get married, welcome a beautiful new baby into their family, or some other wonderful event. I also appreciate being able to know what to pray for when my friends and acquaintances are going through difficult times in their lives. And I love making new friends. I never thought I'd be one of those people who said "I met them online". But I am. And my life is richer for some of the friendships that have been made and strengthened through this amazing tool called Facebook.

So do I hate Facebook? Yep.

Do I love Facebook? Also yep.

And if you are one of my virtual friends, please know that I truly appreciate the way you've touched my life. Whether we have become good friends or are still just acquaintances. You have touched my life in some way or another, and I thank you for it.

As for me and my Facebook "addiction" struggle, I'll probably still waste some time on there, but I'm definitely going to work on just turning my computer off and ignoring it when I have other and better things to do. This afternoon for instance? I'm going to play outside with the kiddos. And I won't be on FB on my phone, either. :)



I hope your day is full of adventure and no wastefulness! I'm thinking mine will be ;)

~Evie

No comments: