Monday, September 16, 2013

Childbirth Professional Day - Meet Debbie Hayden-Miller

1. What is your Childbirth Profession?
I am a Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM)


2. Describe your profession and why someone would want to choose your profession for support in pregnancy and/or childbirth.

Midwife means, “With Woman”. A midwife provides primary care for women through their lifespan. Midwives have served women and their families for thousands of years, and provide a more personalized approach for care during pregnancy and childbirth.


As a midwife, I am lucky to share in the birth of a family.


3. Why did you get started in your profession?

I fell in love with childbirth with my first pregnancy. I took childbirth classes and enjoyed them so much, I taught classes for the next 5 years. At that time, I decided I wanted to do more so I went back to college to become a registered nurse. I always planned to go to school for midwifery but put my education aside while I raised my family. When the last of my children became teenagers, I returned to school for my Master’s degree in midwifery. It was a long journey, but oh, so worth it!
.
4. In detail, what is your personal childbirth philosophy?

Childbirth is
~an intimate, magical, spiritual moment in a woman’s life.
Childbirth is
~and should be treated as, a natural normal event in a woman’s life, not an illness
Childbirth is
~a sacred celebration of new life and should be protected from unnecessary interference.

All women should have the option to birth in a comfortable, secure and supported setting.


5. If you could tell all pregnant women in the world something, what would it be?

Having a child will change your world. It is a time in your life you will never forget. Each pregnancy will be differently important. Take care of yourself while you are pregnant, you have a precious little bundle growing inside of you, and what you do affects your baby.


6. How long have you been in your profession? Are you certified? If yes, by who?

I have been a registered nurse for 22 years and a certified nurse midwife for 2 years, 10 months. I am licensed, as a registered nurse (RN) and certified nurse midwife (CNM) in South Dakota and Minnesota. I am certified by the American Midwifery Certification Board.


7. Do you have a business name? How can people contact you for pregnancy and childbirth support?



My business name is Laughing Waters Midwifery, PC. I can be contacted many ways.
Web page: www.laughingwatersmidwifery.com
Email directly from the web page or email me at dhaydenmiller@hotmail.com
Phone number: 605-351-8041
You many also find me on Facebook


8. Where do you practice?

I am located in Sioux Falls. Currently all care will be done in your home if you live within 30 minutes of my office. Out-of-town clients will have appointments at my office. Your baby will be born in your home, you can select a water birth if you desire. I plan to travel no more than 2 hours away from Sioux Falls.


9. Events

Please join me for:

“Tea with a Homebirth Midwife”
Educated Mommy
207 W. 37th St.
Sioux Falls, SD 57106
on:
September 17, 2013, 6:30 pm
January 21, 2014, 6:30 pm
April 15, 2014, 6:30 pm

No comments: