Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thankful November - N


What am I thankful for?

Well….I’m thankful for a lot of things. I actually write about them quite often here on the blog. I have been richly blessed in oh, so many ways. Today though, I’m thankful for…are you ready for it? Naps. Yep, naps. Sounds pretty boring, huh? Not to me.

Those of you Work at Home (and Stay at Home) moms out there will *definitely* get this…seriously, even those of you that work outside of the home will get this – everyone has days off when you are home all day.

But here it is: When the kids nap, I can get stuff done!

Now, don’t get me wrong…I love our kids more than almost anything, and I adore spending time with them as much as possible. That said, this mama has a lot of friggin stuff to do! Nap time is THE one time of day that I can do what needs to be done without being interrupted.  This is my time where I can clean up the kitchen, work on laundry, post a blog post for EM, do some childbirth or breastfeeding research, do any of the other things that need to be done for EM, work on some sewing,  or figure out what we’re having for supper.

You see, I’ve made a commitment to myself that if the kids need something, I will drop what I’m doing and attend to them. Their little minds and the things that excite them are super important! I want them to know now that I will drop what I’m doing for them so they know the same thing as they grow older. I have seen a saying posted around facebook and pinterest that says something to the effect of “Listen intently to your kids when they are little and have little things to say. They will then talk to you when they are older and have big things to say. Because when they are little, everything is big.” I don’t know who originally said it, but I love it. And yes, I know this isn’t the actual quote, but it’s close enough you get the picture. Anyway, I have taken that to heart, and want to make sure the kids know I am here to listen to them and truly care about what they are saying.

So, when it’s nap time, I can whip through things so much faster than when I’m interrupted by their “big things” J.

Also? The one time every other month that I get to sneak in a nap…even a short one….totally rocks.

~Evie

No comments: