Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thankful November - K


K for Kids

Like many, I say it everyday. I'm thankful for my kids. We all say it for different reasons but it all leads to the same thing in the end. It is because we love our kids. I'm not just thankful for my own kids I'm thankful for my nieces & nephews too.

Before I had kids of my own I had 10 nieces & nephews. I was 13 when my first nephew was born. So I have pretty much grown up with all my nieces & nephews. Which has made me very close with them. I have always been thankful that I had them around & that I was able to have such a close relationship with them.

Of all of my nieces & nephews I am closest with my nephew Austin. He is not just my nephew but he is also my Godson. I was 16 when he was born. He only lived a half mile away from us so we have spent a lot of time together. Back in 2001 Austin was diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. This form of muscular dystrophy only affects boys. My sister has 3 boys so her other 2 had to be tested as well. We soon found out that her youngest, Mason had the same form of MD. We also found out this form of MD is only passed through females so before my husband & I were able to have kids of our own we had to go through genetic testing to be sure that I was not carrier of the gene. It took us over a year & a half but thankfully I was not a carrier so we were able to have kids of our own.

Over the past 11 years we have gone through a lot with both my nephews. Even thought they have gone through a lot over the years they are 2 of the most positive & inspiring kids I have ever met. They have taught all of us what life is about & how we need to be thankful everyday for all we have. Especially our kids & the fact that they are healthy. We are so thankful to have 2 beautiful kids of our own now. We welcomed Jace in March of 2009 & Brooklynn in July of 2011. Everyday I look at both of my kids & and thank God for bring them into our lives. I thank him for each and everyone of my nieces & nephews. I thank him for Austin & Mason. I know that even if they had not been diagnosed with MD I would still be thankful for my own kids & my nieces & nephews. I think it has just made me more aware that I must be thankful everyday for each & everyone of these great kids that I am so blessed to have in my life.


When you look into your kids' eyes, you know that is the purest love you can find on this earth

~Jackie

No comments: