Monday, August 20, 2012

Childbirth Professional Day - Meet Alicia Fonder



1. What is your Childbirth Profession? 
I am a Registered Nurse, Lactation Consultant and Childbirth Educator.

2. Describe your profession and why someone would want to choose your profession for support in pregnancy and/or childbirth.
I love my profession because I get to help people prepare for one of the most memorable days of their lives. Women do not forget their birth experience and I want to help them have the best experience possible. It is a privilege to work with expectant parents.

3. Why did you get started in your profession?
I got started in my profession as a childbirth educator in 2001 when I transferred to work on the Postpartum and Labor and Delivery unit of a local hospital. A co-worker of mine suggested that I would be good at teaching childbirth classes, so I gave it a try. I was hooked. My parents are both retired public school teachers, so I have always said that teaching runs in my family. Childbirth Education was the perfect answer for me to be a teacher as well as a nurse.

4. In detail, what is your personal childbirth philosophy?
My personal childbirth philosophy is to teach evidenced-based material. I want my clients to know what the research says and then they have to decide what choices to make during labor. I believe my clients have a right to know about the risks and benefits of every medical intervention. In an ideal world, everyone would have a natural childbirth with a midwife and a doula, but unfortunately we live in the real world and not every woman chooses that type of birth, so I want to educate and empower women to make the best choices possible for the birth they desire.

5. If you could tell all pregnant women in the world something, what would it be?
I would tell women to trust their bodies and their inner wisdom, to believe in their innate ability to give birth to their baby.

6. How long have you been in your profession? Are you certified? If yes, by who?
I have been teaching childbirth classes for over ten years and I have been a Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator since 2005. I have also been a Certified Happiest Baby Educator since 2007.

7. Do you have a business name? How can people contact you for pregnancy and childbirth support?
My business is called South Dakota Babies. People can contact me through my website www.southdakotababies.com or by phone (605)553-8364.

8. Where do you practice?
I typically practice in people’s homes in the Sioux Falls area. So, if you were to hire me, I would come into your home and we would discuss what you would like to learn in order to prepare for the type of birth you desire. We then decide how many times we need to meet in order to cover all the information needed. My childbirth classes are tailored to meet the needs of each individual family.

No comments: