Friday, June 8, 2012

Meet Mr Elegant Mommy (aka Corey Gaddis)

Since June is the month where fathers, dads, and daddies are honored, I thought it would be fun for us to meet some of the "Misters of Elegant Mommy" (and our readers/followers), and get their thoughts on being a daddy. We focus so much on everything "mommy" (obviously - I mean, "Mommy" is in our name after all - ha!) that this month I really want to put some focus on the daddies out there...after all, they are SUCH an important part of our families!

So without further ado, let's see what the Mr Elegant Mommy has to say about daddy-hood.


Had you always wanted to be a daddy? Why?
Yes I always wanted to be a daddy. The sight of a dad doing things with his children has always brought a smile to my face. I have so many memories of just dad and I working on cars together, and I really wanted to be able to make those kinds of memories with kids of my own.

How did you feel when your first child was born?
When we first learned about Shelly being pregnant I wanted to tell the world! I remember telling my parents and my mom being so excited! We lost my mom 6 weeks to the day before Patrick was born. The birth was a very happy and scary time in my life. I am close to dad but was so much closer to my mom – particularly for emotional things. She was the one I turned to with life's challenges. I remember the night Patrick was born and leaving the room to go out and talk to dad. I told him I wished mom was here and he said, “She is”. I have a daily reminder of mom in Patrick. RIP mom.

What is the greatest thing about being a daddy?
The greatest thing about being a dad, I would say, is both knowing that your kids are dependent on you but also observing how they are their own selves. Watching them accomplish things on their own and seeing the joy in their faces when they do is priceless.

What is the most challenging thing about being a daddy?
The most challenging thing about being a dad, I would say, is knowing when your kids need you and when they just need to be an individual. I am a natural fix-it guy, so when my kids are trying to do something I want to do it for them. Having the self control to stand back and let them be themselves is hard.

If you could give any advice to daddies-to-be, what would it be?
Never, ever lose sight in your kids from before they are born ‘til the day you die. At almost 40 I still look up to my dad and cherish the times with him because life is too short to not. We are all on borrowed time and when God says our last breath is taken there is nothing anyone can say or do to stop the clock. There are so many days that I wish I could just talk to mom and I can't, so say what you need to today and not tomorrow. Never stop telling your kids you love them and always kiss them good bye!

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I love you :)