Thursday, April 5, 2012

Time for Gratitude - Cloth Diapering


It’s been awhile since I’ve posted a gratitude article…there are so many things I’m thankful for today, that honestly, it’s difficult to pick just one J.

But, since it is cloth diaper month here on the blog as we prepare for and lead up to and surround the Great Cloth Diaper Change, I’ve been thinking how much I’ve appreciated learning about and using cloth. I don’t think I’ve shared this story before, but I know I mentioned it in my post about homemade dipes several months ago.

Anyway, it all began when our youngest (Porter) was about 11 months. He had always had sensitive skin and seemed to have diaper rash pretty often. Also, our income was decreasing because of some job changes for both my hubby and I. So, since I knew several people that cloth diapered (and loved it), I decided to look into it a bit. I did a lot of research and decided on the style that I thought would work best for us, but wasn’t quite ready to take the plunge. In the back of my mind, I really wanted to make the most of everything and *really* save some money by sewing my own. I learned how to sew when I was very young and in 4H. My grandmas and mom all taught me…but it had been years since I actually sewed anything for “real” – you know…other than easy stuff like pillows and blankets. In fact, I didn’t even have a sewing machine anymore because the one I did have was not very high quality and had just pooped out.

Well, lucky for me I was *very* blessed to get a very nice sewing machine for Christmas that year (Christmas also happens to be Porter's birthday, so he was one year old at this point)! Woo Hoo!!! And that’s where it all began. I went to diapapallooza that January to pick up a variety of dipes inexpensively so that I could “get my feet wet” and figure out what features I liked best about each different dipe I had and then begin making my own creations. After some trial and error (particularly with the soakers), I came up with a design that I really love and that works well for our little man. He has had a LOT less diaper rash except for the bout I had with ammonia last summer and when he gets the runs. Not to mention how cute his little hiney is in homemade fluff. I have purchased a couple diapers from Elegant Mommy since then as well, and I really like them all. They are just so easy (no matter what my mom thinks – ha!), and even though we have a little more laundry than we used to, it just doesn’t seem to matter…it really just fits in with everything else.

There are times when I have a need to use 'sposies, but the majority of the time his bum is covered in fluff…and I love it! I love that I’ve been able to help his skin out, I love that I’ve helped our family save a bunch of money, and I love that my mom and grandma passed on to me a gift of wanting to create things from scratch with a sewing machine. I also love that he’s getting old enough that he will start using the potty soon and we’ll be done with diapers until we decide to have another baby – ha!

So, what do I have gratitude for today? Cloth diapering and all the things that go along with it...how about you?

~Evie

No comments: