Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Meet local IBCLC's Lois and Alicia!

Meet Lois:

~  How and why did you decide to become an IBCLC?
I became an IBCLC because I am passionate about the benefits of breastfeeding and the need for nurses to have the knowledge to make a difference.   

~ Do you do anything else besides IBCLC?
I am a nursing professor at SDSU, teaching Maternal-Newborn Nursing, and I have a direct role in teaching between 160-200 college students every year.  I know that many students have had very minimal exposure to breastfeeding prior to taking this course, and that most of them have never heard of any of the benefits to moms and babies that come from breastfeeding. Every single nursing student who graduates from the program in Brookings takes the course I teach, and is exposed to evidence-based breastfeeding information.  Because of what these students learn about breastfeeding, there is a huge ripple effect for their families, friends and future patients. 

~ How long have you been an IBCLC?
I have been certified since 1997.

~ What is the one thing you would like to tell all new/almost-new mothers about breastfeeding? 
Breastfeeding is one of the most important things you will do for your baby---and no one else can do it for you.  Yes, it takes time and effort, but so does everything else that is really important.  IBCLC’s love to share breastfeeding tips with women, so please call one of us if you have questions or need some assistance.

~ Where do you work as an IBCLC? How do new mothers contact you if they need help?
I live in Brookings, and can be reached at 605-695-5321.

~Lois Tschetter, RN, EdD, IBCLC

____________________________________________________

Meet Alicia:

~ How and why did you decide to become am IBCLC?
I have been a Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC) since 2001. Initially, I received my certification in order to help the breastfeeding moms I worked with on the labor and delivery and postpartum units in the hospital setting. After becoming a CLC, I also taught breastfeeding classes and mom & baby classes where I answered numerous questions related to breastfeeding. I took the IBCLC certification exam in 2011. I decided to become an IBCLC because it is the highest certification available in the lactation field and I wanted to be more knowledgeable and better prepared to assist new moms with breastfeeding issues. Helping women achieve their breastfeeding goals is my passion. I gained invaluable knowledge while studying and going to breastfeeding conferences in order to qualify for the IBCLC exam.

~ Do you do anything else besides IBCLC?
In addition to being an IBCLC, I am a Registered Nurse (RN), Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator (LCCE) and Certified Happiest Baby Educator (CHBE). I have been offering private lactation consulting, childbirth classes and Happiest Baby on the Block classes since December, 2010. My clients really appreciate having a professional come into their home and offer these services. So, I typically see clients for childbirth and breastfeeding classes while they are pregnant and then see them again after their baby is born to teach them the Happiest Baby techniques and provide Lactation Consulting. I am definitely available for lactation consulting even if clients did not take childbirth classes from me.

~What is the one thing you would like to tell new/almost-new mothers about breastfeeding?
One thing I would encourage new moms to do is to have good breastfeeding support in place before their baby is born. Breastfeeding can be tough in those first few weeks and it is easy to give up if you don’t have good support. They should have someone they can call to offer evidence-based advice and support and also family support from a husband/partner, mother, sister or trusted friend. Breastfeeding gets so much easier after the first couple weeks!

~Where do you work as an IBCLC? How do new mothers contact you if they need help?
My business is called South Dakota Babies, Inc. New moms can check out www.southdakotababies.com or South Dakota Babies’ Facebook page where they can find all my contact information. I am available via phone, text or email.

~ Alicia Fonder RN, IBCLC, LCCE, CHBE


No comments: