Wednesday, November 9, 2011

H is for HoPE and Holoprosencephaly


What I am thankful for.
 
Holoprosencephaly or HoPE

At 20 weeks utero my daughter was diagnosed with a condition called Holoprsencephaly. She was given no HoPE of surviving to birth and if she did, she would not make it out of the hospital. The doctors pushed for abortion, but this was not an option for us. God gave her to us for a reason.

Isabella Jeannette Dice was born at 11:31 AM on January 25th, 2010. She has undergone several surgeries since then along with multiple hospital stays. But she is proving the doctors wrong with every day she is with us and every milestone she is accomplishing.
 
Why am I thankful for my daughter's condition?
 
Because of Isabella I see the world in a whole new way. She has shown me that it's the little things in life that really matter. I love how people adore her and care. While our lives might not be 'normal', it is the only life I want.

Remember, With HoPE anything is possible!

I am a parent of a child with special needs.  
Everyday something seems to happen that reminds me how different we are. 
Our lives. Our schedule. Our responsibilities. 
Listening to the stories of other families. But then I stop and think….it’s ok. 
I am in you and you are in me, together that makes one very happy family. 

~HOPELights
 
By Christine Dice

No comments: