Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Childbirth Professional Day - Meet Marilyn Hildreth

1. What is your Childbirth Profession?

 I have been a maternal health RN since 1975 having worked in a NICU Unit, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and Labor and Delivery, Postpartum and Newborn Nursery.  I have been honored to be present for over 5,000 labor or births.  I have been a certified childbirth educator through International Childbirth Education Association (ICEA) and Lamaze International.  I have served on the ICEA Board of Directors as Education Chair and Faculty for numerous ICEA Workshops, I have served as Instructor for Lamaze International Labor Support for Nurses Workshop, been a Certified Doula since 1999 through ICEA and DONA International, a Doula Trainer for ICEA and DONA International, and am an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant

I have served on the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services (CIMS) Leadership Team, and  I am past Chair of the CIMS Mother Friendly Nurse Recognition Program.

I am also a consultant for health systems that are working towards CIMS Mother Friendly status.

2. Describe your profession and why someone would want to choose your profession for support in pregnancy and/or childbirth.

Childbirth is a beautiful place to help empower women to find their voice for the rest of their life. 

3. Why did you get started in your profession?

My life verse from an ancient book Titus 2:2 is for older women to instruct younger women on how to love their husbands (children).  I believe older women have a responsibility to teach the younger women life skills.  Childbirth offers the perfect opportunity to do this.

4. In detail, what is your personal childbirth philosophy?

Childbirth is a life transforming time in a woman's life.  During this rite of passage a woman is able to find her voice for the rest of her life for herself, her children and her family.  I believe childbirth is a time to empower women to speak up for their wishes and for what is best for them. My job is to respect that woman and honor her wishes.

5. If you could tell all pregnant women in the world something, what would it be?

Trust your body/your instincts.  It knows what to do.

6. How long have you been in your profession? Are you certified? If yes, by who?

See above

7. Do you have a business name? How can people contact you for pregnancy and childbirth support?

Yes.  JM Birth Consultants International 
People can contact me at Marilyn@jmbirthconsultants.com or call at 605-691-5808. My website is www.jmbirthconsultants.com. Visit the site for a listing of workshops and video resources

8. Where do you practice?

I practice all around the world: Qatar, India, South Korea, Canada, Costa Rica, and China along with many hospitals throughout the US. I live in Brookings, SD, however, and I do a lot of work with the hospital there.

No comments: