Thursday, June 6, 2013

Paying It Forward

So, I have one of the coolest stories ever.

There are some things in life that I'm willing to spend money on. And there are some things I'm not. No matter how much I would like to.

Purses are one of those things that I'm not willing to spend a ton of money on. I don't think I've ever spent more than $15 on one. Literally. The one I've been carrying for the last year and a half or so was one I paid $2 for at Goodwill. It was cute, big, and fit my needs. It was getting worn, though, and I had been thinking I needed to begin a search for something new. Or new to me at least - whatever I could find.

Enter Rebekah Scott Designs.

I had always admired RSD purses/bags and other products. From afar. I knew I would never spend the money to get one, so why look closely?

Meet Jill. My new RSD "gal pal" :)
Well, the other day I looked closely at them. Because someone - I have NO idea who - gave me one.

Whoever this sweet angel is, went into Elegant Mommy and told them to have me pick out whatever bag I wanted. No matter how hard I tried to get her to, Shelly wouldn't tell me who it was. She promised whoever it was that she wouldn't. They wanted to be anonymous.

Can you believe that?!

I have *never* had anything like that happen to me before. Someone just anonymously wanted to give me something? Why? What had I done to deserve such kindness?

Then I got it.

Whoever this person is, just wanted to be kind to me. It doesn't matter what I did to deserve it, or if I did anything at all. This giver just wanted to be a blessing.

And let me tell you, whoever it was, *is* a blessing. Not just for the purse (which I adore, by the way). This person was a huge blessing to me because just by doing something so kind, made me feel blessed. It didn't matter what stressors were happening in my life that day (or since then). Someone took the time (and money) to show me that there is true goodness in the world. That I am worth something to someone, and they don't need or want to be recognized for showing me that. This person completely and totally made my day (and week, for that matter)

I have to be honest. It's been difficult not knowing who it was. I so badly want to thank them and ask them "why". But then I remember that the "why" doesn't matter.

It's what I take away from it.

It's following that wonderful person's example and giving to someone else now. And not needing or taking credit for it. This person has inspired me to do more random acts of kindness - whether it costs me anything or not. It's definitely not about the $ or value of the object or act. It's about blessing others.

So how about you? Do you have any super awesome stories of acts of kindness?

How did you pay it forward?

~Evie

P.s. If you were my anonymous giver, THANK YOU!!!

No comments: