Monday, June 13, 2011

Meet Evie - Elegant Mommy's new blogger!

I am so excited to be writing this post. I had been thinking about starting my own blog, and when I saw that Shelly (Owner of Elegant Mommy) was looking for a new blogger-slash-online “face”, I jumped at the chance and got the job. Imagine my excitement when we chatted about the job and I learned more about what she was looking for – someone to blog about pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, etc – the *exact* same things I would have been blogging about myself!


My name is Evie DeWitt, and I am Elegant Mommy’s new blogger. I am a doula in Mitchell, South Dakota, and have a passion for anything and everything related to pregnancy, birth, babies, and the like. I live in our home with my wonderful husband and two precious and amazing children. My daughter is 3 ½, and my son is 18 months. As time goes on, you’ll get to know me more and more, but to begin with, here are a few things to give you a picture of me.



  1. I have found my life calling in being a mother.

  2. My family is super duper important to me

  3. My 2nd calling in life is helping women and families learn about their choices in pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, etc. I am a doula and plan to begin my Childbirth Education training in the near future

  4. I believe in a natural and holistic approach to life, health, and medicine, but I’m not even close to perfect on that – we eat hot dogs and mac-n-cheese and the delicious cookies and caramel rolls that my mom and grandma taught me how to make – full sugar and all.

I began my passion for pregnancy and childbirth - though I didn’t really know it at the time - when I was pregnant with our daughter and went through her birth. I knew I wanted a “natural” birth, but honestly didn’t even know exactly what my idea of “natural” was or what I really wanted it to be. Because I wasn’t educated enough, I had a very medical and intervention-rich hospital birth. With my next pregnancy we had to research other birth options because there was an issue with my insurance. So, hubby and I decided on a homebirth. I had prenatals with my CPM across the border in Minnesota, and my mom and husband were at home with me when I gave birth to our son on Christmas morning a year and a half ago. It was amazing. I’ll share more of the information I learned from these experiences in the coming weeks and months, but suffice to say that it changed my life for the better!


As for this blog, I am honored to be a contributor and I am so excited to share what I’ve learned and to help bring all kinds of information to help you make the right decisions for your family. I am passionate about making sure women and families know that as long as they are making educated choices for themselves and their families, that they are doing the right thing. I am not here to tell people what they should do. I will tell anybody who will listen what I would do, but I would never presume that my ideas and opinions are right for everyone. For our family, we will only homebirth from now on unless there is a medical reason not to. I am SO thankful that we have trained doctors and the technology to handle issues if any arise. We will also continually educate ourselves on what choices are right for us – whether or not to vaccinate, what to eat as a family, how we diaper (we recently switched to cloth, by the way), how to school our children, and how we live as a family. I look forward to making the journey with you.

No comments: